Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Lesson #1: The REAL hard part

Wow…2014.  That was the year we received our foster parent license.  It was also the last time I wrote a blog post.  Since that time, we have had a total of 10 kids come to our home to “hang out for awhile” (code words for “to be fostered”).  Four were just short “respite” stays to give their regular foster parents a break.  The other six were ours for a period of time.  Every one of these placements has taught us valuable lessons.  Lessons worth sharing.

First, I would say “Whoa!”  We were prepared for hard things when we signed up for this gig, and I think we’ve managed fairly well when it comes to the things we expected to be hard. Things like behaviors and worries and grief outside of the norm.  We were prepared for the hard questions, the “why's,” the “what if’s,” and the "when's."  I think we are pretty good at helping our little ones unpack the heavy baggage that they bring with them, carrying on their little shoulders more than most adults.  I’ll admit, I lose my patience more frequently than I’d like.  When I get mad, I yell. I hate that, but it’s true. I do have to apologize once in awhile, and once in awhile, I have to shut myself in my bedroom to count to much more than 10 (sometimes AFTER slamming my door…sometimes BEFORE allowing myself to boil over).  We are so imperfect, so flawed…but we do try.  We do give it our best.  Sometimes our best just seems so inadequate. 

The first 2-3 months are usually the most trying, because that’s when boundaries are still being formed, and tested!  That’s when rules are being learned, behavior charts are in full swing, and trust is being built.  That’s also when a lot of holding and rocking is going on.  It’s so important for trust building and for bonding in the midst of what often seems like a chaotic storm.  Basically, what I’m saying is, I think we have a handle on that part.  We fully expect chaos and that expectation has proven true with every placement for at least the first 2 or 3 months. 

So what’s my “Whoa!!” all about?  It’s because of the part we weren’t prepared for, the unexpected hard stuff.  One thing we always hear from non-foster parents is something along the lines of “How awesome that you are foster parents!  I could never do that!  I would never be able to handle giving the kids back.”  I really, really hate that (just saying).  You see, it’s hard for me to see it as a compliment, because I thought that same thing before we dove in head first.  Then when we had a couple of kids who were going on weekend visits with their parents and we were enjoying every single minute of it, I started to feel guilty.  When the target date for them to return home permanently came and went, and I felt disappointed by that…I thought, “It’s suppose to be HARD to give these kids back!  I must be a bad person, a bad foster parent…cold-hearted at the very least.”    You know, it took a long time for my mind to work through that.  People…including other foster parents…always talk about the positive emotions.  The attachment they’ve created with the kids and the grief they experience when the kids leave their home.  Nobody ever talks about the opposite emotions, so when I found myself feeling like I WANTED the kids to go home, I felt inadequate.  I have since figured out that is total nonsense!  Yes, some kids are harder to let go than others. Some kids have a greater attachment than others.  Yet, no matter what, we love on every one of these kids, and treat them as we do our own.  

I have cried every time our regular placements moved on, yet they were happy tears rather than grief tears. Tears of appreciation for the teachers, counselors, social workers, daycare providers, and even judges & attorneys who helped to mold them into kids who are respectful, responsible, trustworthy, and kind.  Tears of pride in these kids, knowing how their journey began and how their character developed through it all.  We have had GOOD kids.  Good in a very different way than what we traditionally think of, but GOOD.  

We go into every one of the placements with the goal of “reunification,” (a.k.a., going back home).  We partner with their parents.  We co-parent.  We help them maintain a bond.  We supervise phone calls, send them pictures, and pray for them, for their healing, for their ability to step up and care for their children in a safe and appropriate way.  I have cried and felt emotions I couldn’t express when witnessing a Mom about her to lose her kids forever.  FOREVER.  That’s a long time, a long, long time. That’s longer than any mom can stand.  THAT is the part that is harder than hard, the part that hits like bricks and doesn’t go away in a day or two. Giving the kids back…or passing them along to the next family, the “forever family,” is the easy part…and I have come to realize that’s truly okay!  So please, don’t ever tell me that you couldn’t be a foster parent because you couldn’t give the kids back...or that your OWN kids are your priority (I've actually heard that)....as if MINE aren't?  Instead, just wish us well, and pray for these kids and their little hearts as we muddle through, trying our hardest, even when it seem so inadequate.


I am going to end this post here.  Yet, I have so much more I want to share about what we’ve learned along the way.  I have an incredible story of God’s plan and his ability to see the whole picture, long before we even know there is a picture.  I was given permission by our last foster siblings’ adoptive parents to share their story.  It is worth tuning back in for, so you will certainly want to watch for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment